Our Race Committee PRO/ROA Schedule and Logistics
Our Race Committee
Our Race Committee makes it possible for our club to have one of the best programs around. We’re a volunteer organization. Consider volunteering as a member of the Race Committee.
Here’s what we do and where you can help:
- Run races on:
- Wednesday and Friday evenings from June - August.
- Sunday mornings
- National holidays--Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day
Mendota Yacht Club Race Committee Boats
William L Ward
our primary RC boat
Lady of the Lake
mark set and assistance boat
RC duties include:
- Preparing the RC boats for use
- Monitoring weather conditions
- Setting up the race course
- Starting the race(s)
- Recording mark roundings
- Signaling course changes
- Recording finishes and protests
- Collecting course marks
- Towing competitors home when the wind drops
- Securing the RC boats and gear
RC crew for a typical race consists of:
- William L. Ward: Principal Race Officer and a skipper/Assistant Race Officer
- Lady of the Lake: skipper/Assistant Race Officer
Some of the jobs on the RC boats include
- Principal Race Officer (PRO) – responsible for all activities of the RC
- Skipper/Assistant Race Officer (ARO) - drives the boats, records race information, finishing times, protests, runs signal flags, etc.
- 2014 MYC Score Sheet
What about Experience and Training?
Experience is required for the PRO, ROA’s can learn during a race.
Training is offered for Boat skippers before and during the season
An average session on the RC boat will last approximately4 to 5hours. We typically leave the pier at the Maple Bluff Marina 1 hour before the start time.
We’d love to have you join us. If you’re interested just visit the volunteer page and sign up!
PRO/ROA Schedule and Logistics
The Race Officer Assistance program was started many years ago and is a very important part of our racing program. Our race officers have years of experience running races on Mendota and they are happy to share it with you. This is a great opportunity to help out the club, watch some great racing, and even learn a thing or two. Please be on time and get a substitute if you can't make it. Ask a neighbor or co-worker to fill in and as always take a camera so we can put your pictures on the web!
Meet at the Maple Bluff Marina on Lake Mendota to board the committee boats. Here's a map
to the marina.
On Wednesdays and Fridays, be at the boat by 5:00 PM SHARP!
On Sundays, be at the boat by 8:20 AM SHARP!
Thanks in advance to our ROAs for showing up for races on time!